Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas...

From the Harlow's & the Merrill's we wish you a very Merry Christmas. Last night we had our usual crazy Christmas Eve agenda. We started the morning with sausage gravy and biscuits at the Merrill's for breakfast. Then we had chicken cutlets for a late lunch before heading off to church with the rents and Lauren. Christmas Eve service at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Salem usually involves so many people that there aren't enough seats, some people wreaking of perfume, others of alcohol and lots of Christmas music sung by the children's choir. It's only the 3rd Christmas service I've attended at a Catholic church, and I'm still not used to the traditional ceremony with kneeling and standing, etc., etc. But it is nice spending time with the Merrill's.

After church we headed over the the Harlow clan's celebration. My dad's extended family always does Christmas on Christmas Eve cause there are so many kids and grandkids, that way Christmas is for in laws or quiet personal time. This year guest included my parents, and sister, Mike, I, Grandaddy Harlow, Jeannie, Tony, Aunt Lynn, Uncle Lynn, Brenda, Charlie, Katie, Chris, Nicole, Kelly, Jason, Jordyn, Katie, Justin and Wilbur (a new "relative" of sorts). By the time we arrived they had already eaten dinner. This year for dinner they had chosen to do soups and salads. Each year we change up the menu, it's much better than the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing....especially since I'm not a huge fan of any of those. After dinner is usually time for games, this year was no exception. We played mexican train dominoes, snacking on the delicious desserts at every chance. We ended the night, as usual, after midnight and made the drive back to Mike's parents house.

For the last 2 years we've stayed the night at my parents for Christmas Eve so that we can have Christmas morning breakfast with my parents and my mom's extended family. But Mike wanted very much to wake up at his parents and open gifts, so I obliged. After opening are many gifts with Mike's parents which included a GPS from Mike to me and a new Ipod from me to Mike we headed over to my parents for breakfast. It was a wonderful but hectic 2 days. I really enjoy spending time with our families, just wish we didn't have to switch back and forth so much, it's hard on us and Emma Sue.

No comments: