Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Little Lucy...

For those of you who don't know, Lucy Noel Harlow is a dog, but not just any dog, she is my sister and parent's dog. She is a 4 pound chihuahua, the baby of my best friend Christine's dogs Princess Fiona & Fancy Pants. For years and years, my sister, mom and I begged my dad to get a dog. For years and years, my dad said No. About a year and a half ago Christine's chihuahua's had a litter of puppies, and once my mom saw pictures she couldn't resist bringing one home. She actually said if dad gave her a hard time it was either the dog stays or he goes. (I don't know that she ever would have the actual courage to say that). But she didn't have to...my dad agreed and welcomed little Lucy to the family. If you've ever seen Lucy interact with anyone in the family you'd know that she is the spoiled rotten baby. I think my dad loves her the most of anyone - which is shocking. She really is cute. But on Sunday, September 21st I got a horrifying call from my sister Lauren. Lauren was crying so hard I could barely understand her. The only thing I could make out was that someone was really sick and dying. My first thought was that something had happened to my mom or dad - I started to get upset but didn't want to cry and make things worse, so I told Lauren to calm down and say it again so I could understand her. She proceeded to tell me that Lucy had been in my parents yard and had eaten some mushrooms that were growing. My mom, who was with Lucy at the time saw Lucy start to get sick and weak, and quickly called the vet. They took Lucy to the emergency vet and were told that the mushrooms that Lucy ingested were toxic, that during the week they had already treated 4 other dogs that had eaten mushrooms and that 2 of the larger dogs didn't make it. They continued by telling my parents and sister that because Lucy was so small they weren't sure they could do anything to reverse the toxicity, so to prepare for the situation that Lucy may die. Now, I know that some of you who are reading this are pet owners, and may be thinking, it's a dog, get over it... but let me just say that a pet quickly becomes a member of the family, loved and needed. I'm not comparing an animal to a sibling or parental relationship by any means, but it can be devastating to lose someone you love - even and especially a pet. It was so hard listening to my mom and dad tell me what was going on over the phone, I could hear them getting choked up just talking about it. My first instinct was to get in the car and drive to Roanoke. I offered but they said they would keep me updated and it wasn't necessary to drive 4 hours. So I sat by the phone and waited for updates. At about 11:30 Sunday night they called to say that she was still in critical condition but she had a long road ahead if she was gonna survive. Monday, while at work, I got a call from my mom who said that Lucy had received a plasma and blood transfusion (I didn't know they did those on a dog) and that she was doing a little better but that her liver enzymes were ridiculously high, from the toxicity. But Lucy was strong and she continued to get better. She ended up staying with the vet until today when she was released to go home. What an ordeal. I kept trying to put myself in my parent's shoes, and imagine what I would do if Emma were sick. I woudl be heart broken if Emma got sick and died, I'm not sure what I would do. She really is like our child. And Lucy is like a sister (no offense Lauren). But I'm so glad that Lucy is better and we wish her and my family a quick and easy recovery. Emma was also glad to hear that Lucy was getting better, and can't wait for their next playdate!!!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that picture of Emma and Lucy! I am so glad little Lucy is okay.