Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The 2009 Service Award Banquet...



Every year at Sibley for the past 21 years, Human Resources has coordinated a "Service Award Banquet" to honor employees who have reached employment milestones. Since working at Sibley I have attended 4 banquets, coordinating the entire thing for the last 2 years. It is a ton of work, and if you've seen me lately I'm sure you picked up on how stressed out about it I was. Not necessarily about the banquet, but about how much other work I had piling up on top of the banquet. The banquet is always held on the Tuesday of Hospital Week. You might ask what is Hospital Week - well the American Hospital Association coordinates a calendar every year of all kinds of health care related events, one of which is Hospital Week. At Sibley our week includes Tuesday - Banquet, Thursday - Picnic, and Friday - Employee Recognition Awards Ceremony. I, luckily, am involved in all 3. I'm not sure how it happened, but I am. Before I took over coordinating the banquet it was a much more time consuming and chaotic process. There were so many people involved and the awards we presented were, to be quite blunt, lame. Last year I did a lot of research and found a company that provides awards based on tiers, so if you have worked for 5 years you get a nice award, but if you have worked 40 years you get a much nicer award. We give awards in increments of 5 years. And it's truly amazing to see how many people have worked at Sibley for as long as they have. We had 211 honorees this year, even 4 people who have worked at Sibley for 40 years. On top of that, if you've worked any more than 20 years you get invited back every year, and we've had 258 people working at Sibley for 20 or more years. Crazy!!! Sorry, back to my story -This year we used the same awards company, the same jazz trio, the same location, and the same florist as we have in years past. So it made things a bit simpler. The main changes this year had to do with my budget, due to the poor economy. Last year we spent close to $70,000 total. This year, event with increase in food costs and space rentals we spent about $55,000 total!!! I was able to save money by going with cheaper, but still delicious food, creating the programs myself and cutting back on some other small stuff. I've included some pictures of the event below, enjoy!!!



Ballroom before & after:


Program before & after:

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

If the HR thing doesn't work out, you would be a GREAT event planner. Miss you muffin!!!!