Sunday, August 31, 2008

Harlow's In Town...

So my parents and grandparents came up to visit Labor Day weekend. It was great, because they found a great deal they actually stayed in Old Town, right across the street from the King Street Metro stop at the Embassy Suites Hotel. They had a perfect view of the George Washington Masonic Temple. The view from the inside of the hotel was just as pretty, there was a courtyard in the center atrium area with tons of live plants and trees, incredibly neat. Friday night we just hung out with everyone in the hotel room and planned out the weekend agenda. Then Mike and I walked the 8 blocks back to our place to get some rest for the next couple of days. Saturday morning Mike and I woke up early, showered and then walked back to the hotel where there quite possibly the most delicious breakfast buffet, where they had a grill cook taking orders and making personalized omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. So delicious in fact that my stick thin grandfather ate 4 plates for breakfast the first day he was there. After breakfast we headed into the city by metro. We took the Yellow line to the Red line to Union Station. I had only passed by Union Station once before and had no idea it housed so many little shops and restaurants...it was unbelievable. At the main desk we bought tickets to take the DC Duck Tour. We bought the tickets at about 11:30am but our tour didn't start til 1:00pm, so we took some time to wander around the station. My dad took the time to have his picture taken with some pretty prominent people, while Mike chose to ride a Harley


When we were done fooling around we finally boarded the Duck. The tour departs from Union Station and takes you anywhere and everywhere you could think of in DC. We wove through the streets passing by the Capitol Building, the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, the Washington Monument, the Pentagon and all sorts of museums. The driver was so informative and entertaining. I would highly recommend this tour for tourist and residents alike! So after our classy picture with the Captain we headed over to the Postal Museum....I know, you are all so jealous! It was mainly a stall tactic, as the "boyz" (Mike, my dad & my grandpa) were heading over to the Nats game at 6pm. The musuem wasn't actually that bad. My dad even got to live out the dream (not really) of being a truck driver, with Mike as co-captain. We all ate dinner together at Cap City Brewery, right across from Union Station - actually in the Old Post Office building. It was deliciuos and filling. So "us women" were thankful that we didn't have much planned for the rest of the night. The guys, on the other hand, jumped back on the metro and headed over to Nationals stadium to watch them battle the Braves (my grandparents favorite team). My grandfather has always been a huge MLB fan, but to my surprise he had never been to a professional baseball game. He was so excited. Fortunately, my boss had given me 3 tickets on the 3rd baseline about 11 rows up from the field...so he enjoyed his first experience. Sunday morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel again then all headed over to New Life @ Westmoreland Community Church in Mclean. Afterwards we went to lunch at Ledo's - mmmmmm, delicious squared pizza. It wasn't long before it was time for my family to head back to Salem. So we said our goodbyes. It was so nice spending time with my family. We crammed as much into our 2 days as possible and can't wait til they visit again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good good good......